Carbon Steel Castings
What are carbon steel castings
Carbon steel castings (also known as carbon steel precision castings) are metal castings mainly composed of iron and carbon. Carbon steel is one of the main materials in the current cast steel industry. It has the advantages of low cost, high wear resistance and easy preparation, and can be heat treated to improve its strength, ductility and machinability.
Classification of carbon steels
Mild steel (< 0.20% C):
It is also called mild steel because of its low strength, low hardness and flexibility.
Medium carbon steel (0.20 to 0.50% C):
It is the most widely used material with medium strength level in various applications. In addition to being used as building materials, it is also widely used in the manufacture of various mechanical parts.
High carbon steel (> 0.50% C):
After proper heat treatment or cold drawing hardening, high carbon steel has the advantages of high strength, high hardness, high elasticity and not easy to deform.
Advantages of carbon steel castings
- Compared with other steels, carbon steel is the most used and can be easily obtained by casting.
- Carbon steel can obtain higher hardness and better wear resistance after heat treatment.
- The hardness in the annealed state is very moderate and has good machinability.
- The raw materials of carbon steel are very common, easy to obtain and relatively low production cost.
Carbon steel casting process
At present, there are two processes for carbon steel castings: water glass investment casting or silica sol investment casting
Water glass casting
Water glass is added to the molding material (commonly known as silica sand) in a certain proportion, which is made into “water glass sand” by stirring, rolling and mixing, and then blown into the mold to neutralize the sandbox containing carbon dioxide gas, carbon dioxide and water. Silica gel is formed through chemical reaction to harden sodium silicate sand, which is completed through mold lifting, closed box and pouring process.
Silica sol investment casting
This is a lost wax casting method. Firstly, the mold is made according to the shape of silica sol casting, and the wax mold is placed in the solution made of silica sol and quartz sand. There will be a layer of material on the wax mold and then solidify. After repeated soaking and curing, the mold shell is basically formed. Finally, it is dewaxed and cast.
Application of carbon steel castings
General mechanical parts: gear, connecting rod, hood, etc. Common hardware tools: wrench, bucket teeth
Secondary processing of carbon steel castings
The high-precision machining accuracy can reach 0.01mm, and it is detected by hexcon three coordinates
Surface treatment, antirust water, sand blasting, electroplating, plastic spraying, painting, etc
Heat treatment, quenching and tempering, normalizing, quenching, annealing, carburizing, nitriding, alloying, etc
Carbon steel casting manufacturer
As an excellent carbon steel manufacturer in China, we provide the most professional investment casting process solutions. Working with us can bring you the following benefits:
- Through a mature quality control system, we can provide stable quality and dimensional tolerance
- Efficient and professional casting technology can save you costs
- Strict quality control ensures the quality and delivery date of delivered products at the same time
- The professional technical team can produce high-quality parts according to your requirements
- Improve the after-sales service system and answer all your questions